ISBN: 978-0-85716-027-0
Price: £17.99
Format: Hardback
Size: 232mm x 146mm
Extent: 194pp
Illustrations: 18 b/w and 3 colour
Sport: History

The Lone Rangers:
An English Club’s Century in Scottish Football
Tom Maxwell

Berwick Rangers, whose tiny ground lies in the northernmost reaches of Northumberland, have been ploughing a lone English furrow in Scottish football for more than a century. In The Lone Rangers, Tom Maxwell explores the confused national identity of Berwick-upon-Tweed and its unique football club and talks to some of its greatest players who have worn the iconic black and gold shirt. The Lone Rangers features interviews with a host of former international stars, including Gary Lineker, Ally McCoist, John Greig, Pat Nevin, Trevor Steven and Gordon McQueen. It tells the story of a tiny club that played a pivotal role in the career of Sir Alex Ferguson and for whom every fixture is an international. You’ll also find out if Berwick-upon-Tweed really is at war with Russia!

The Author

Tom Maxwell is a journalist and a lifelong Berwick Rangers F.C. fan.

"A strong contender for football book of the year."
Phil Shaw, Backpass Magazine

"A lively account of Berwick Rangers' many trials and tribulations... Maxwell brings this unique place to life."
Harry Pearson, When Saturday Comes

"The Lone Rangers should be cherished as an affectionate and entertaining account of the club's life through thick and thin."
The Scotsman

"Quite simply, this was a book I couldn't put down."
Footballbookreviews.com

"Well-written, funny, absorbing and entertaining – all the joy and pain of British football's true borderline madness!"
Roddy Forsyth, BBC commentator and The Telegraph

"I never knew I could know so little about my local football team. The Lone Rangers has fixed that, however, in the most entertaining and humorous way."
Pat Nevin, Ex-Chelsea and Everton footballer and 5 Live commentator

"Ask all the football fans in the country which club they'd most like to read about and 99% would say 'Berwick Rangers' the other 1% are liars."
Gordon McQueen